Sunday, April 8, 2018

“In the Knowing . . . Peace” (John 20:19-31)

I think the disciple, Thomas, received his monniker unfairly.  I don’t think he was a “doubter” at all.  No, I think he was being honest.  I think that he wanted to make up his own mind when it came to whether or not Jesus was alive.  I think that he did not want to blindly jump in with the popular opinion just because everyone around him was telling him it was so.  I think Thomas was being honest . . . honest in that he had some questions--not doubts so much, but questions; after all, he had witness the ministry of Jesus, listened to his preaching and teaching . . . all of it.  And, I think he had some questions about the whole craziness that had and was happening around him.  It is not that he doubted it, he wanted to understand it.

Thus it is that he more or less tells the other disciples, “Show me!”

Thomas wanted to believe.

According to one dictionary, “Belief is the state of mind in which a person thinks something to be the case with or without there being empirical evidence to prove that something is the case with factual certainty.”

Thomas, like the rest of the disciples, got the evidence that they needed in order to believe . . . they encountered the resurrected Jesus.  Thomas even got to touch the wounds of Jesus.  Thomas and the others were shown the evidence that they needed.  Unfortunately, none of the rest of us were there.  We did not have the opportunity to hobnob with the risen Jesus . . . we didn’t get to touch the wounds.  We didn’t get that empirical evidence we needed in order to believe.  We didn’t get to see it or experience for ourselves; and, yet, we are called to believe . . . to be a people of faith.

Well, as I have gotten older I have come to the conclusion that faith is mystery.  Every time that I think that I have it figured out, it changes and becomes even more than I ever imagined . . . and, it keeps doing it over and over again!  To have faith is to believe, and it is to this task that we are called.

Being called, means we have a call.  We can either answer that call by believing, or we can ignore that call.  Faith is a choice.  It is a choice to look at reality from the point of view that God is making all things new rather than that death is the ultimate reality.  Unfortunately that is a choice that is something that we cannot prove or verify.

Faith just is . . . and, for this, we are blessed.  Jesus even says it, “. . . blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

So, if this is what faith is, then why shouldn’t we be honest and admit that we have questions . . . lots of questions.  It is not that we are “doubters”, but we do have questions.  And, it is okay to have questions of faith.  God can handle it whether the people around us can or not.  Jesus did not chastise Thomas for having questions . . . it was okay.  It was okay because out of the questions people grow.

Jesus does not explain what the blessing is for those who believe.  He just says that they are blessed.  Yet, I think we are given a clue in our reading this morning, and in several other scriptural descriptions of Jesus’ encounters after his resurrection.  As he addresses the disciples who were hidden away, he tells them, “Peace be with you!”  Not once, but three times he states this to them.  I think that the blessing that comes from belief or faith is peace.

If I wish for all of you “Shalom”, what word pops into your mind?  Peace!  Most of us understand the word “Shalom” to mean peace; but, the word as it is understood biblically it is much more than that.  The goal of “Shalom” is peace though.  Let me explain.  The biblical understanding of the word is that of “wholeness” or “holiness”.  The journey of life, as is the journey of faith, is to become fully who we are created to be by God . . . to become whole.  This involves three aspects of who we are.  Think of it like a three-legged milking stool.  In order for the stool to be balance all three legs must be equal.  If one leg is less equal than the other, there is no balance . . . we fall off.  The three legs are the physical, mental, and spiritual . . . these three make us whole.  The goal of life is to keep them built up, balanced, and whole.  When this is done there is wholeness.  And when we are whole we have peace . . . we discover “Shalom”.

As I was reading this passage, what popped into my mind was this phrase: I have peace because I know; I know because I believe.  That does not mean that I understand everything that I believe . . . or that I don’t have questions.  But, I believe . . . I believe whether or not I could ever explain it to you or not.  And, that is enough.

Jesus said, wherever two or three are gathered in his name, he is there with them.  And, you know what, I don’t know how he does it, but he does it.  Week after week we gather together in his name and he is among us . . . he is in the word that we hear, in the bread that we break, in the cup that we drink, in the hymns and prayers, in the fellowship . . . he is present among us.  I can’t explain it, but he is here.  In that presence, week after week, I honestly feel at peace . . . I feel blessed . . . and, I think many of you know what I am talking about.  In that presence there is wholeness and holiness . . . there is peace . . . Shalom.

In faith we begin to see life and the world through the eyes of Jesus in
which all things are new.  We see the possibilities.  We see the Kingdom of God.  In faith we realize that nothing can stop God . . . not even death . . . there is always hope.  But, faith is a choice.  Those who choose faith discover peace . . . can’t really explain how it works, but it works.  And, that is good enough for me.  In the knowing there is peace . . . may we all find peace.  That is Jesus’ wish for us all . . . “Peace be with you!”  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment