Sunday, October 14, 2018

“Sticker Shock” (Mark 10:17-31)


“Sticker shock” is that reaction you have when you see the price of something that you really want . . . usually a lot more than you are expecting to pay.  Do you remember the first time you experienced “sticker shock”?

The first that I remember experiencing “sticker shock” was shortly after I moved to Lexington, Kentucky to attend seminary.  I needed to get a haircut.  Having no car, I walked down to nearest barbershop . . . I plopped down in the barber’s chair . . . and the guy began snipping and cutting my hair.  It was pleasing experience and the guy did a really good job.  Then he said, “That will be ten dollars.”

It was like someone had punched me in the gut—I was breathless.  Ten dollars!  I had never paid ten dollars for a haircut . . . never ever!  Here was this guy . . . waiting for me to pay him ten dollars . . . probably even wanted a tip on top of that.  The haircut suddenly wasn’t looking so good anymore. After I picked myself up off the floor, I paid the guy ten dollars, plus a tip.  I never went there again.  After I discovered a beauty school near the seminary—four bucks a haircut.  It was an adventure . . . the haircuts weren’t always good . . . but, for four dollars it was perfect.

My wife and children tell that I am cheap . . . that I’m so tight with money that I squeak when I walk.  It might be true, but I like to think of myself like everyone else . . . I want a good deal for my money.  I don’t want to be shocked by the price of something I want.  I don’t want “sticker shock”.  So, do you remember experiencing “sticker shock”?

May you would as the man in our scripture reading this morning.  A man comes up to Jesus and asks him what he must do to inherit eternal life.  Jesus rattles off the expected answer that comes from what we call the Ten Commandments.  These are things that any Jew would have known.

Of course, the man pipes up that he has kept these commandments since he was a young child.  Piece of cake!  As far as this guy is concerned, the price is right . . . he’s got it covered.  Bu Jesus wasn’t done . . . he throws in one more thing . . . “One thing you lack.  Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.  Then come, follow me.”

The man suddenly had a case of “sticker shock”.  The words that Jesus spoke floored the man.  The price was more than he was willing to pay.  Turns out he was quite wealthy.  The writer tells us that “. . . the man’s face fell.  He went away sad . . .”

Grace may be free, but it isn’t cheap.  There is a price to follow Jesus.  There is some “sticker shock” to be experienced when we choose to follow Jesus.  The disciples were quick to speak up and declare that they were not like this man . . . they had given up much to follow Jesus.  Peter states that they have given up everything.  Jesus lets them that such action would bring blessing and eternal life . . . and, it would also bring challenges . . . big challenges.

To follow Jesus is not easy . . . it is hard work as he challenges us to consider our whole lives in comparison to his life.  It is hard work to consider what it is in ourselves and our lives that block us from the call of Jesus.  A challenge to give up all that distracts us from loving God and others completely.  There is a price to pay and not all will be willing to pay the price.

Jesus is not advocating that we all go out and sell everything that we own to give to the poor.  At the same time, he probably wouldn’t complain if we did.  Instead he points out that there are barriers in our lives that keep us from freely following him and his way of life.  For the man who confronted Jesus, it was his wealth.  His wealth was more important than others and God.

I imagine that we have all experienced “sticker shock” in our relationships with Jesus.  Often in our discussion group before worship I have listened to individuals share about their struggles with what Jesus wants and how they are living their lives.  Also, with many of those who participate in this congregation.  I’m impressed in the openness and willingness to admit that following Jesus is not easy . . . that he challenges them to make changes . . . changes that they admit they aren’t sure they can or want to make.  It is “sticker shock”.

Jesus says that it won’t be easy . . . nor will it be cheap.  It may mean giving up relationships . . . jobs . . . possessions . . . property.  It may mean giving up attitudes, beliefs, and traditions . . . membership to organizations.  Jesus wants his followers to remove whatever it is that blocks their ability to have a relationship with God and one another.

How difficult is it?

Jesus tells us that it would be “. . . easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle . . .” than for someone who refuses to free him or herself of that which blocks intimacy and relationship with God and others to get eternal life.  At the same time, it is not impossible.  Jesus also says, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.”

Let us not be cheap in our faith.  Let us follow Jesus where he leads.  The challenges are real, but the blessings are plentiful.  As Jesus said, “All things are possible with God.”  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment