Sunday, January 20, 2019

“Reluctant in Faith” (John 2:1-11)


The word “reluctance” means “unwillingness or disinclination” . . . for example, “She was reluctance to speak in public.”  A couple of words that might help us to understand the word’s meaning are hesitant, doubtful, questioning, or have a qualm.  I think that all of us know what “reluctance” means . . . that we have all experienced moments in our lives when we were “reluctant”.  I do not think that this is a foreign word, concept, or experience for any of us.  Which is good.  It is good because I want you to think about that as we consider our scripture reading this morning.

Here in the Gospel of John, we are told of Jesus’ first miracle.  At the prompting of his mother, Jesus turns water into wine at the wedding feast in Cana.  Typically, in the Jewish culture of that time, a wedding is celebrated with a feast that lasts a week.  During that time, it is customary for the wedding party to provide the hospitality . . . wine, food, and song . . . to the guests.  As the story begins, the feast has been raging for three days.  There is lots of partying going on . . . lots of people enjoying themselves, when suddenly it is noticed by Jesus’ mother that there is no more wine.

Now this is a huge “oops!”  It is embarrassing and borders on a disaster.  Wine isn’t just a social lubricant, it is a sign . . . a sign of the harvest, or God’s abundance, or joy and gladness and hospitality.  And so, when the wine runs out they run out of blessing.  In this situation, the wine has run out before the wedding is over.  And, it is a disaster.

Jesus’ mother, Mary, points this out to him: “They have no more wine.”  It was a short and sweet observation that Mary points out to Jesus . . . but, we who have been children, we know when our mothers are doing more than pointing something out.  We know when simple observations from our mothers are more than mere statements but are really commands for us to do something.  And, so does Jesus.

We can relate to Jesus’ response to his mother’s little hint.  Though it is not written that way by the writer of the gospel, we get the tone in Jesus’ reply.  His response was one we have all muttered to our mothers, “Aw, Mom . . . really!  Do I have to?”  Jesus and his party were guests at the wedding feast . . . it was not their problem.  It really did not involve them.  Plus, Jesus and his disciples were no big deal . . . they were just like everyone else . . . common people enjoying themselves at a wedding feast.  It wasn’t their party.

Besides all of that, if Jesus does something . . . something miraculous . . . it is going to draw attention to him.  Maybe he wasn’t ready to expose himself and his purpose to everyone.  It could be all of this was behind the reluctance Jesus expresses in his response to his mother’s hint . . . “Aw, Ma!”

I think we need to cut Jesus some slack in this story, after all, we all understand this feeling of reluctance that Jesus is expressing.  We all know what it feels like when we are not quite certain about whether we are ready to do something.  We all know what it feels like to be hesitant . . . a little leery . . . about doing certain things.  The bottom line is that we all have had reluctance in our lives.  We know where Jesus is coming from.

Unfortunately, reluctance can keep us from experiencing and growing in our lives.  It can keep us from becoming and being fully who God has created us to be.  It can steer us away from responding to God’s call and purpose for our lives.  It can stop us from doing what we are supposed to do.  Reluctance is a powerful deterrent and one that we probably give way too much attention to . . . especially when it comes to faith and doing God’s will.

So, back to the story.  I do not think that Jesus was being disrespectful to his mother.  I think Jesus was just expressing his reluctance of doing what she was hinting at . . . do something!  We see in the story that Mary knows that her son is going to listen . . . that he will do what she is hinting at . . . that he will be a “good boy”.  In her love for her son, Mary understands her son and his reluctance to do anything; but, who better than Mary knows her son?  Mary understands that the time has come for Jesus to begin his mission . . . to begin his ministry . . . to make public his purpose . . . to reveal the Holy.  She has no doubt that Jesus will step through his reluctance and do what needs to be done.  She tells the servants: “Do whatever he tells you.”

And, we know the rest of the story.  Jesus meets a need.  Jesus converts the water into wine.  He saves the party.  He makes the hosts look good.  He continues the blessing.  With this miracle, in the Gospel of John, Jesus reveals himself to the world.  Jesus has come out to the whole world.

In hearing this story, what does it say to us . . . as a people of faith, sworn to follow in the footsteps of Jesus?

Since I cannot speak for anyone else, I can only tell you what this story means to me.  For me it tells me that I need to consider reluctance in my life, especially when it comes to my faith.  I need to discern where reluctance is keeping me from being fully who I have been created to be.  I need to understand where reluctance is blocking me from experiencing life completely . . . where it is keeping me from reaching out and helping others . . . keeping me from responding to those in need . . . and, where I am ignoring the call of God in my life.  I need to understand the power of reluctance as a deterrent and power that keeps me from blessing.

As a person of faith and an ordained minister, I have studied the scriptures . . . I have studied theology . . . I have been educated in the ways of ministry . . . I have been affirmed and confirmed through ordination that I am qualified to be a minister and witness for Jesus.  I am qualified and certified . . . and, I have all the papers to prove it.  And, yet, despite knowing that I have the knowledge, skills, and training to do the job . . . I still have reluctance towards the task set before me . . . to be faithful.  Faithful to God’s will and call.

I can be like Jesus in this story.  I can be like that person who is being urged by his mother to get up and go to school . . . “Aw, Ma, why do I have to go to school?”

“Because you’re the teacher!” comes the reply. 

When it comes to faithfulness . . . to following the will and call of God in our lives . . . there is no more training, no more practice, no more classes that we need to take.  No, each and everyone of us, has what it takes to follow the will and call of God in our lives.  We just need to step through our reluctance and just do it.  We need to step up and claim our place in the family of God . . . to receive our blessing . . . and, to follow where Jesus leads us . . . to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to comfort the mourning, to be with the imprisoned, to seek peace and justice . . . to be that presence of Jesus to another.

We should not be reluctant in our faith.  God, our heavenly and ever-present parent, knows what is best for us, and now is the time.  Now is the time to move beyond our reluctance . . . embrace our faith . . . and, receive the blessing.  As we step beyond our reluctance, it may not be of the magnitude of Jesus’ first miracle of turning water into wine.  It may be as simple as telling another person that you are there if you are needed.  But the blessing will be just as big.

From this story a question is posed . . . for me . . . for you: What are you waiting for?  Come, join the party . . . receive the blessing.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment