Friday, July 19, 2019

"Distractions" (Luke 10:38-42)


Chores.  Can you show me a kid who loves doing chores?  I know that as a child, I did not always appreciate the chores and jobs around the house that my parents assigned me as the oldest child.  In my mind it seemed as if I was getting the burden of the work as my siblings were getting a free pass.  I know that this is not true today, but way back then it seemed as if I was getting the short end of the stick.  Like any good child . . . I moaned and groaned . . . I whined . . . and, I complained.  What kid wouldn’t?

And, you know what it got me?  It got me a nickname from my mother.  My mother would smile at my complaints and say, “Martha, Martha.”  It took me years to figure out the nickname . . . but, as we heard in our reading this morning, Martha is the sister who complained about doing all the work while her sister, Mary, lounged around at the feet of Jesus.  Jesus told said: “Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

What is this better thing that Jesus is referring to?  In Martha’s mind there is company in the house . . . important company, at that.  The latest celebrity in the land was visiting and things had to be done in order to be good host.  Food had to be prepared.  People needed to be served.  Thus, it is that Martha sees that there is work to be done in order to make a good impression on her guests.  Because of this Martha is busting her butt and slaving away in the kitchen.  Is this what is important?

Well, it seems logical to me.  I know that whenever we have company coming to visit that our household goes into full combat mode . . . there are things to get done before the company arrives . . . the house must be cleaned, toilets scrubbed, and everything in its proper place.  I know that there are meals to prepare, time in the kitchen, piles of dishes to clean, constant messes to clean up.  It is work, work, work . . . and, in the end, both Dana and I always say that we are going to simplify things the next time company comes so that we have less work and more play.

Martha’s choice seems logical, but Jesus alludes to the fact that she has
chosen wrong.  Instead he points to the person that Martha is complaining about and says, “Mary has chosen what is better . . .”  What Mary is doing is . . . well, nothing if you ask Martha.  Mary is sitting at the feet of Jesus listening to every word that he said.  While Martha is working at being a good host, Mary is connecting.  Mary is relating.  In this Jesus affirms that it is not activities that define what is important, it is relationships . . . it is connecting, being intimate, and forming a bond with another.  This, says Jesus, is what is important.

Jesus tells Martha not to get distracted.

I know that I have mentioned C.S. Lewis’ book, The Screwtape Letters, many times in sermons over the years; but it really is a good book to read when it comes to understanding what it means to follow Jesus.  Quick recap:  Wormwood is a brand new devil who is sent to earth for his first assignment.  His assignment is a young man and the goal is to keep Jesus from getting his hooks into him and drawing him over to the Enemy’s side.  Screwtape is Wormwood’s uncle—a senior devil.  Wormwood finds in Screwtape a mentor to help guide him through his first assignment; thus, he writes to his uncle seeking advice.

In one letter Screwtape tells his nephew that an effective way of deterring the young man from hooking up with Jesus is to distract him . . . getting him busy doing other things.  For example, get the young man interested in a hobby . . . hobbies take time, time that could be used for the Enemy.  Or, get him a girlfriend . . . girlfriends demand time and attention.  Or, even get the young man involved in politics.  Distraction will keep the young man from choosing and doing the right thing.  If the young man is distracted, then he will be too busy to seek out Jesus and join the Enemy.

The simple definition of “distraction” is “a thing that prevents someone from giving full attention to something or someone else.”  That is what Screwtape recommends and Jesus warns about.  Avoid distractions and get to the meat of the moment . . . connect, relate.  Martha was distracted.  In her distraction she missed the opportunity to connect with Jesus, to become intimate with Jesus . . . to build a relationship.  After all, in the end, it is relationships that we remember the most.

In our distraction we forget the “other” . . . we forget the person . . . we forget the Holy.  In our distraction we become so focused on what we are doing that we forget for whom we are doing it . . . we forget the one who is right before us.  We forget that he or she needs our attention, our compassion, our listening, and our support more than anything else.  They need us to acknowledge them for who God created them to be.  They need us to be “present” to them.

I can’t answer that question for any of you, but I can answer that question for myself.  I am probably not as “present” to others as I should and need to be.  Too often I have failed others . . . and, God . . . by being distracted; and, in doing so, I have failed.  Of course, like Martha, I have an excuse . . . life is busy . . . I’m busy . . . there are things to be done . . . first things first.  In my busyness and distraction, I have failed.  In my failure, I have hurt others . . . all because I was too busy to see.  In the end, everyone loses.

Relationships are important.  Those two commandments that Jesus held up as the most important . . . well, they are about relationships.  Relationship with God, relationship with others.  Do this, says Jesus, and all the law and commandments will be fulfilled.  So, it should come as no surprise then that Jesus politely points this out to Martha.  It is Martha who is missing the point . . . missing the opportunity of connecting and coming into an intimate relationship with Jesus.

As we all journey through life and attempt to follow Jesus, let us be careful out there not to be distracted to what is important in the end.  Let us focus on relationships . . . our relationship with the Holy—God and Jesus . . . our relationship with others.  In the end, that is what matters. 

I am not so certain that Mary chose to sit at the feet and listen to Jesus because she was interested in what he had to say . . . she, like a true sibling, might have done it to get out of helping her sister.  We must admit that this is a classic sibling story; but, whatever her motives, she was in the right place at the right time.  She got praised for making the right choice. 

And, how do we know that it was the right choice?  Because in choosing to relate to another person Mary entered something that could never be taken away.  She made a intimate connection with another . . . something she would have for the rest of her life.

Because of that, let us not get distracted and veered away from that which binds us to God, binds us to one another.  Let us step forward and embrace that which is placed into our lives.  The best hospitality is to welcome another into our lives for who they are as God’s children.  This is what is better, and it will not be taken away from us.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment