Saturday, September 7, 2019

“Mold Me, Make Me” (Jeremiah 18:1-11)


Anathea Portier-Young, Associate Professor of Old Testament at Duke University Divinity School in Durham, North Carolina, invites us to consider the image of God and God’s relationship to humanity as it comes to our scripture reading this morning.  She writes: “Other scriptures invite us to imagine God as ruler and judge, writer and teacher, farmer and builder, father, mother, and lover. Jeremiah 18 invites us to see God as an artisan and artist. The image is not new in the scriptures. Genesis 1 portrays God as the first poet, designer, metalworker, and landscaper, as God speaks, divides, fashions, and populates the cosmos. In Genesis 2:7 God first shapes clay, sculpting and forming humankind from the sediment of the earth. As God’s hands knead and smooth the moist dirt, God breathes life into God’s new creation, so that the human being is simultaneously grounded by this connection to earth and animated by the very breath of God.”

God is the potter, we are the clay . . . a powerful image.

It is to this that God calls the prophet Jeremiah . . . “Go down to the potter’s house and there I will give you my message.”  Obeying God, Jeremiah goes to the potter’s house where he witnesses the potter at work.  There he saw the potter working at the wheel.  As he watched he noticed that the piece the potter was throwing was misshaped; so, the potter mashed it down and started over shaping into a pot that was much more desirable and useful.  Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?  Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.”

It is here that Jeremiah realizes the message that God can shape and reshape us, and God labors tirelessly at the wheel on our behalf.  God assesses our character, perceives our strengths and weaknesses, builds on our strengths, and when flaws are found in us, works diligently to remedy them.

I am not a potter . . . not even an artist.  God blessed other members of my family with those skills.  Though I do not have those skills, I have learned a little about working with clay.  Most potters are thrifty individuals who never throw even the smallest bit of clay away.  One potter told me that she had a can that she threw the leftover and so-called “mistake” pieces of clay.  There she would let it accumulate until she would clump it all together and rework it into a piece of art.  Which she could do over and over again until she stuck it in a kiln and fired it.  Once it was fired, it became hard and brittle . . . never to lose its shape.  Upon firing, it was what it was.

That, too, is a part of the message that Jeremiah receives from God.  Never does the message convey at any point that the clay God works with is ever fired . . . at least not on God’s end.  From the very beginning—in Genesis, God shapes and breathes life into God’s creation.

At the same time, God reminds Jeremiah that God has the choice to throw away or destroy if creation becomes hard and brittle, set in its ways: “If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned.  And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted, and if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do for it.”

It is up to the people . . . it is the people’s choice as to what happens.

One of the things that I find fascinating when I am hiking in the mountains, especially up Woodbine Canyon, are the trees.  As you know, Woodbine Canyon is a windy . . . really windy place.  As I hike, I see trees that have been twisted and bent by the wind, and I see tree that have been snapped in half.  I always wonder why some tree bend and shape to the wind, while others break in the wind.  Those that allow the wind to bend and shape them survive and thrive; those that don’t, die.

So, it is when it comes to the Spirit’s movement in our lives.  In the movement of the Spirit . . . God’s hands . . . we are molded and shaped.  We are made.  We are made over and over again as we journey through life.  Remember, God assesses our character, perceives our strengths and weaknesses, builds on our strengths, and, when flaws are found in us, works diligently to remedy them.  And, the choice is ours as to whether we allow it to happen or we become rigid in our growth and faith.

The choice is ours.

Thankfully we have a patient God. 

It is God’s will that we become who God created us to be.  It is the Spirit’s—God’s hands—that guide and shape us.  There are qualities of the Spirit as shared in Galatians 5:22-23: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  There is also compassion and justice.  These are the bricks in the foundation of Jesus’ admonishment to love God completely and to love others as we love ourselves.  The Spirit moves to shape us to be these things in the image that God created us to be.  For it to happen, God is willing to start over and over again.  Willing to pick up that lump of clay and mold us and make us. 

But, as always, it is up to us . . . it is our choice.

For years I thought of those twisted and bent trees shaped by the wind as being stubborn.  The reward was this mangled looking tree that just would not break to the will of the wind.  Now, as I have gotten older, I see them differently.  I see them being shaped to survive the wind . . . I see them becoming what they need to be in order to grow and thrive.  I see that they have learned to move with the wind.  Those broken trees . . . well, they were the ones who lost out in the end because of their unwillingness to grow with the wind that moved them.

So, it is with the clay in the hands of the potter . . . so, it is with us in the journey of faith and life.  The choice is ours . . . do we allow the potter to mold us and shape us, or do we become brittle and worthless?  Do we allow the Spirit to move through us to bend and twist us into what we need to become, or do we allow it to snap and break us?  As Jeremiah and we are reminded, from God . . . it is our choice.

From this reading what do we glean?

We glean that we are the clay in the potter’s hands—God’s hands.  Clay that needs to have a willingness to allow God to mold us, shape us, and make us to what God desires us to be . . . God’s children . . . chips off the ol’ block.  

We glean that we must be willing to allow the Spirit to work in our lives . . . to stop and know God.

We glean a simple prayer sung in a familiar hymn:

Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.
Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.
Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me.
Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.

May it be our prayer.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment