Sunday, August 8, 2021

“Walk this Way” (Ephesians 4:25-5:2)

 

They say that a journey begins with a single step.  For all of us the journey began the day we were born.  This past week Dana and I made a trip to Kentucky.  Kentucky is Dana’s birthplace and the land of her people . . . her family.  It is a place filled with aunts, cousins, and life-long friends.  Together we traveled to Kentucky to finally celebrate the life of her mother who had died this past December.  We visited family—especially her sister who is in a memory care facility.  There was a lot of hugging, talking, laughing, and tears.  This was not my journey but a journey that I was invited to join.

 

I was a stranger in a strange land . . . and, I was welcomed.

 

Author Steve Marboli writes: “It’s funny how, in this journey of life, even though we may begin at different times and places, our paths cross with others so that we may share our love, compassion, observations, and hope.  This is a design of God that I appreciate and cherish.”

 

Travel has always been an adventure for me . . . along the lines of Indiana Jones.  Like Indiana Jones when I travel I spend my time fighting through the obstacles and masses of humanity to reach my destination.  Any of you who have ever raced through Denver or Chicago airports know what I am talking about.  It is a hair-raising experience.

 

As an introvert I do not like crowds and encountering the masses of traveling people has shown me the worst of humanity . . . or my inability to adapt to crowds.  It is everyone for him or her own self . . . damn anyone who gets in the way!  It is worse than attempting to navigate Walmart on pay day.  It is humanity at its most anxious and it brings out the worse in people.

 

But I do not want you to think that my traveling adventures only include the bad . . . no, there is also the good.  There is the person willing to help, share directions, and wish traveling mercies.  Those who offer love, compassion, and hope.  Those who take the time to be a part of the journey.  Such was my experience this past week.

 

Jesus understood that life was a journey.  Understood that as important as the destination was, it was not as important as what happened between the start and finish . . . it was about the experience and people that are encountered . . . about the relationships and helping one another.  In making sure that the journey was completed.  This is how Jesus traveled through life.  It was what he asked his followers to do.  He asked them to “walk this way”. 

 

In Paul’s letter to the church in Ephesus the followers are reminded once again: “Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”

 

Again, we are reminded to “walk this way” by the apostle.  As a stranger in a strange land, I appreciated those I encountered who walked the talk of Jesus.

 

Upon arriving at the place, we were staying, Dana and I were greeted by our host who left chicken salad, pimento cheese spread, home-made pickles, chips, and sweet tea—Southern hospitality at its finest.  Food for the weary travelers.  None of this was required or expected.  Out host wanted us to feel welcomed.

 

Following the celebration of Dana’s mother’s life at the cemetery we gathered at one of the local restaurants for lunch.  Dana’s aunts and a cousin circled the table, the staff was gracious, the food was great, the conversation and laugher were even better.  There we sat for nearly two hours in the comfort of one another’s love, but more importantly in the patience and compassion of those working well beyond their shift because they understood the need for the time spent with loved ones in a time of grieving.

 

There was the loving care and hospitality of Dana’s sister’s sister-in-law and her family.  She found us a wonderful place to stay.  Her daughter graced us with home-made zucchini bread.  She shared directions, shared stories, laughed, cried, and provided hugs whenever needed.  Constantly she assures us not to worry—she’d take care of those minor details that tend to sneak up on a person while traveling—and she did!  Here was a person with no real relation to Dana or I who cared for us selflessly.

 

Throughout our trip we encountered those who walked the walk of Jesus.  From staff members caring for Dana’s sister at the memory care unit to those who entered conversations to welcome us.  Little kids who innocently entered our space to play and goof off while the adults had conversation.  All around us were people modeling and living their lives as Jesus lived his.  In all honesty there was more “good’ than there ever was “bad”.  Whether they understood it or not, these were people walking the walk of Jesus.  They all probably just thought they were being nice.

 

But . . . meanwhile back home.  Anything and everything was hitting the fan.  A member of the church learned that his son had stomach cancer.  Another member who was still recovering from a stroke had her appendix explode and life got more complicated.  On the road traveling I was amazed at the response for a cry of help I received.  People stepped up, calls were made, prayers went flying.  Concern was shared.  Love and compassion was shown.  There was no “talk” just people walking like Jesus walked.  I stood in awe at the response I witnessed.

 

 Author Robbie J. Serrale writes: “Life is not all about roses.  It’s about thorns, bee stings and bandages and good people helping you get to the other side.”

 

For those I have encountered along my journey who have offered to make it easy . . . who have encouraged me along the way . . . and, those who walked with me when I needed the support . . . I thank you.  I thank you for crossing my journey’s path.  I thank you for caring.  It has made the difference.  You are helping me reach the other side because you have chosen to follow Jesus in his walk.  You have chosen to “walk this way”.

 

The journey for any of us is not easy.  It is filled with the good and bad.  There is laughter and tears.  It is good to have companions along the way.

 

Whenever I stumble upon a piece of scripture encouraging the faithful to walk like Jesus . . . to “walk this way” . . . I rejoice and I remember.

 

The intention of Paul’s plead to those in Ephesus was to ease the tension and anxiety of the merging or the journeys as followers of Jesus.  The apostle understood the diversity of those he was addressing.  He understood that everyone thought differently because they had had different experience.  He understood the immensity of the journey . . . the fatigue of the journey . . . and that it was not an individual thing—it was a communal thing that could divide the communion they had started.  Thus, he reminded them of Jesus . . . his words and the way that he lived . . . the way that he walked.  He urged those in Ephesus—and us today, to “walk this way”.

 

The apostle tells us: “Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us . . .”

 

Sometimes you must leave home and go on a journey to be reminded . . . reminded of what we have.  We have the love of the Lord . . . experienced through those we encounter along the way.  Let us rejoice because we choose to “walk this way” and it has made all the difference.  In the journey of life we are never alone.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment