Sunday, July 9, 2023

“Wanna Dance?” (Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30)

According to the saying, there is more than one way to skin a cat.  Let it be known that I do not believe in skinning cats.  The saying is alluding to the fact that there is often more than one way to get a job done.  In our reading this morning we witness the ministry of two people—John the Baptist and Jesus.  Each had his own way of doing things.  John was pretty strait-laced . . . he was ascetic in his lifestyle . . . his preaching was straight-forward and to the point.  He preached that the Lord was coming and everybody had better get their act together before it was too late.  And . . . it worked!  People followed him . . . became his disciples.

Those in power noticed.  They put him and his ministry down.  They said, “He was a demon.”

 

Jesus, on the other hand, was a little looser.  He mingled among the people . . . especially the people who were considered to be on the wrong side of the tracks.  He ate with the sinners and challenged the status quo.  He was friendly and cared about people, their lives, and what the future would be like.  He preached love and grace.  And . . . it worked.  People followed him . . . became his disciples.

 

Those in power noticed.  They put him and his ministry down.  Pointed out his despicable behavior of mingling with the “untouchables”.  They said, “Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.”

 

Those in power noticed because they could see how successful they were.  They could see how people were following them.  Following them because they believe in the individual and the words they shared.  Those in power could see the shift in power . . . could see a movement being born.  It was a threat.  A threat to them and to their power.  And like all the powerful before them and after them they did what they could do by creating fear.

 

Fear can be a powerful immobilizer . . . it can stop people in their tracks.  Fear can also be a great impetus to action . . . usually action to quell the storm that is feared.  Get rid of the problem and there is nothing to fear.  Is that not what happened to John the Baptist?  Was that not what happened to Jesus?

 

If you have ever experienced fear, you will have to admit that it can wear a person down and out.  Make one weary.  Make one feel burdened.  Let me ask this question, are there any here this morning who have never been weary?  Never had to carry a heavy heart burden.  If so, well then you are free to go.  To the rest of you, Jesus invites you to dance.

 

The choice is up to us.

 

Every time I hear this passage of scripture I am taken by the line: “We played the pipe for you, and you did not dance.”  English songwriter Sydney Carter wrote one of my favorite hymns way back in 1963 . . . Lord of the Dance.  It is a hymn that is typically sung on Easter Sunday, but is always a great one around a church campfire.  Its tune is a variation of the Shaker tune, ‘Tis a Gift to be Simple.  The idea behind the hymn was tell the gospel story in the first-person voice of Jesus with the device of portraying Jesus’ life and mission as a dance.  Each verse tells a part of the story from the birth in Bethlehem to the resurrection.  The chorus between each verse is:

 

Dance, then, wherever you may be,

I am the Lord of the dance, said he,

And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be,

And I'll lead you all in the dance, said he.

 

If you have never heard the song, I suggest that you listen to it.  It is a catchy song and one with a powerful message.

 

I have always loved the image of our relationship with God through Jesus as a dance . . . a dance through life.  Now I want you to understand that I cannot dance worth a hoot.  I have two left feet.  No sense of rhythm.  I can’t dance.  Ask Dana . . . she can probably count on one hand the number of times she and I have ever danced.  In fact, our first dance might have been at our daughter’s wedding and our second at our son’s.  If you dance with me, you had better have your steel-toe boots on.  It’s that bad.

 

But, like the song says, Jesus invites us to dance . . . he’ll lead.  Just come on and dance, says Jesus.

 

So, why won’t we dance?

 

Could it be because we are fearful?  Could it be because we are weary?  Well, there certainly is plenty to be fearful about in our lives . . . these are difficult times that we are living in, and they don’t seem to be improving.  I know that we are weary . . . that we are tired.  It is just the times that we are living in.  It is hard to dance when one is scared and tired.  Yet, Jesus invites us to dance.

 

Okay, okay . . . he doesn’t say “dance” straight up.  He says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  He is telling us to follow him, and he will show us the way.

 

As I said, I can’t dance.  But, you know what?  It all depends on who you’re with.  You ask my grandchildren . . . well at least the youngest ones . . . and they will tell you that Papa can dance.  They’ll tell you that I can boogey across the floor.  I learned the secret to dancing, first it is who you dance with . . . I prefer those under the age of ten.  Second . . . you know that song about dancing as if no one is watching you . . . I do that.  I dance as if no one is watching me.  And no one cares how poorly I dance and neither do I. And guess what, God doesn’t care . . . God just wants me to join in the dance.

 

Yes, there was that reluctance.  We all have that reluctance . . . that fear . . . wariness of dancing.  It is a matter of taking that step of trust and letting loose.  Some of you may remember singer Leo Sayer.  In one of his songs called Long Tall Glasses, which many people call the I Can Dance song, he tells the story of being on the road, tired and hungry.  He sees a sign advertising food and drink for everyone.  So, he pulls over, heads in and discovers so much food and drink that he is going to faint from the joy of it all.  Just as he is pulling up to the table to eat, someone yanks him from his chair and tells him, “Before you can eat you gotta dance like Fred Ataire.”

 

Of course . . . he can’t dance.  But he is hungry.  The food looks good.  Then . . . the heck with it all.  He convinces himself that he can dance:

 

If you were hungry as me

Then i'm sure you will understand

Now wait a minute

Of course i can dance

Of course i can dance

I'm sure i can dance

I'm sure i can dance

I can dance

I really hit the floor

Ah it feels good

Look at me dancing

I did a two-step quick-step and a bossanova

A little victor sylvester and a rudy valentino

You should have seen me moving

Right across the floor

Hand me down my tuxedo

Next week i'm coming back for more

I can dance

Oh yes i can dance

Look at me dance on the floor moving

I feel good

I can dance

    

I can dance.  You can dance.  We can all dance.  Let us not allow ourselves to make excuses as to why we can’t dance.  Jesus don’t care.  God don’t care.  My grandchildren don’t care . . . my wife, well that is another story!  Dance!  Jesus shows us the way.  So . . . dance.

 

Dance, then, wherever you may be,

I am the Lord of the dance, said he,

And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be,

And I'll lead you all in the dance, said he.

Amen.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment